CourierPostonline - South Jersey's Information Source CourierPostOnline front page South Jersey News Sports Entertainment Classifieds Jobs Cars Real Estate Shopping


Customer Service
· Subscribe Now
· Switch to EZ-Pay
· About Us

Today's Weather
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Metro Editor
Donna Jenkins
News Sections
South Jersey News
World Report
Sports
Business
Living
Opinion
Varsity
Weekly Sections
Communities
New! Nuestra Comunidad
Senior Scoop
South Jersey Living
South Jersey Scene
Static for Teens
Technology
Volunteers
Women on the Run
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Featured
In Our Community
Corrections
Dating
Gannett Foundation
In Memoriam
Lottery Results
Obituaries
Pets
Photo Galleries
New! Spot News Kids Korner
South Jersey Guide
Weddings, Engagements & Anniversaries
Thursday, August 11, 2005Past Issues - S | M | T | W | T | F | S
 
South Jersey

Battleship suit nipped in the bud

By CAROL COMEGNO
Courier-Post staff


MOUNT HOLLY - The Governor's Office dashed an attempt Wednesday by the New Jersey Battleship Commission to sue the Navy for choosing Camden over Bayonne as the permanent home for the battleship USS New Jersey.

Pete McDonough, chief of communications for Gov. Christie Whitman, issued a strongly worded statement, calling it "one of the dumbest ideas we ever heard."

"We were told the commission was considering a vote to sue the Navy. We made it clear this was not an action that we could support financially or lend any legal support to," said McDonough.

In a private meeting Wednesday in Tinton Falls, Monmouth County, the Battleship Commission voted 8-1 to hire a lawyer to try to force the Navy to reopen the competition for the New Jersey.

Commission Chairman Assemblyman Joseph Azzolina, R-Monmouth, who has long fought for Bayonne as the site, abstained.

McDonough's statement came after Azzolina informed the Governor's Office what a commission majority had voted to do.

"It's not going to happen," Azzolina later said of a possible lawsuit. He said he abstained because he had reservations about a lawsuit.

"I told the commissioners I would be calling the governor and then would let them know what was said," said Azzolina.

"When the governor's staff told me they were vehemently opposed to any lawsuit, I called all the commissioners back and told them this had to be rescinded and they agreed. So it's rescinded and that's the end of it," he said.

Most commissioners contacted deferred questions to Azzolina.

He said most commissioners were dissatisfied with answers Navy officials gave them at a briefing on their unsuccessful application last month in Washington.

The Navy lauded the Camden application, which received the unanimous vote of a Navy executive committee and Navy Secretary Richard Danzig.

Joseph Balzano, the only South Jersey member at the commission meeting Wednesday, was the lone dissenting vote.

He is also a member of the Home Port Alliance, the nonprofit South Jersey coalition which wrote the winning application. The highly decorated 58-year-old ship is expected to open as a floating museum on the Camden Waterfront late next year.

"I tried to convince them this was not honorable and that they would be perceived as soreheads. To his credit, the chairman had reservations about it, and I think he did the right thing," Balzano said.

The Gannett State Bureau contributed to this report.



Copyright 2005 Courier-Post. Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service (updated December, 2002).
For questions, comments, or problems
contact us.

The Courier-Post is a part of Gannett Co. Inc., parent company of USA Today.

FIND A JOB
FIND A CAR
FIND A HOME
CLASSIFIEDS
Deals and Coupons
Auto Deals
Consumer Web Directory
Coupons
End of Month Values
Customer Central
Subscribe
Customer Service
About Us
Contacts
Advertise
Courier-Post Store
Jobs at the Courier-Post
Jobs with Gannett